Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kick Up the Imagination



I saw this quote today on Dreamworks Animation’s website by CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg and had to share.  “Every single thing you see on-screen came out of somebody’s creativity.  It doesn’t exist.  Nature didn’t deliver it to us.  Everything had to be dreamed.” 
I love this!  It's EXACTLY what's been on my mind lately.

The value of a live, active imagination seems to be shot down more often than it's celebrated.  I think about this often.  I feel like people are always saying things like "you have to be realistic" because I spend much of my time in my imaginations and dreams.  What's wrong with that?  Haven't they ever heard the saying, "if you can dream it, you can do it?"
Don't we encourage our kids to use their imaginations constantly?  Why don't we continue to say that to each other as we grow up?  Why do we have to be "real" about everything, all the time?  It's depressing.  Gee...maybe there's a link here between the lack of playfulness and the mammoth consumption of Prozac. 
Yes, we can't get so caught up that we're living in a fantasy and ignoring life happening around us, but what would the world look like if people played in their imaginations a bit more and carried those visions into their everyday life?  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look like war or hate. 
I feel like I've had a successful day when I have given myself the freedom to play inside my imagination because that's where a lot of my inspirations come from.  That's what gives life-force to my acting and writing endeavors...and actually, to my very existence. 
~PL&C~

1 comment:

  1. That made my day, so inspiring!
    Thanks Kristen, you're amazing!
    keep em coming

    ReplyDelete